The successful candidate should have a strong background in informatics and a keen interest in dealing with biological data (e.g. genomic, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics). He/she will be a central figure to support the group’s research activities and will be responsible to develop and maintain bioinformatics resources, including database and webserver development as well as machine learning algorithm for the analysis of high-dimensional omics datasets.
Key Tasks And Responsibilities
· Extending existing software, writing, documenting and maintaining code packages on public/internal repositories;
· Developing relational or graph databases
· designing prototype software applications and tools to make data/results internally accessible in a user-friendly way and interacting with the core web and software developers of the centre to coordinate data/software/results flows on the public domain;
· developing web apps;
· designing new algorithms;
· training colleagues, other staff, and institute’s visitors to the use of the developed software and organizing usability test sessions, workshops and courses.
· PhD in a relevant subject area (Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics);
· full working proficiency in UNIX/Linux;
· Relational (MySQL, PostgreSQL) or graph databases (neo4j) development;
· full working proficiency in a scripting language (e.g. R, Python, Perl);
· web app development through flask or django;
· java scripting (e.g. d3.js)
· full working proficiency in a compiled language (e.g. C, C++, Fortran);
· full working proficiency with software versioning systems (eg. Git, github, svn);
· experience in creating, documenting, and maintaining software packages;
· experience with high performance computing farms;
· basic knowledge of statistics and combinatorics;
· fluent English;
· ability to communicate ideas and results effectively;
· ability to work independently and to organise own workload;
· ability to work with others in a collegial manner and to communicate effectively internally at all levels and with select external individuals;
· ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
How to apply
The position is for 1 year, renewable up to five years, and is available from June 2021 or as soon as possible hereafter.
Please apply directly here (deadline June 18):
For informal enquiries please write to:
Bioinformatician position in the Bioinformatics group at BIO@SNS, Pisa
BIO@SNS, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa
Francesco Raimondi, PhD
Deadline for application