We are seeking a Computational Biologist to join the Metabolic Research Laboratories (MRL) Bioinformatics and Biostatistics (Bio2) Core Facility, a scientifically complex facility pursuing data driven scientific research projects, (also in collaboration with Astra Zeneca and other research partners within prestigious international research institutions), and providing support to a wide range of scientists within the MRL and across the wider scientific community in Cambridge and nationally.
This position funded by the Wellcome Trust provides abundant opportunities for a talented and driven data scientist to play a pivotal role in developing and enhancing the scientific programmes of the MRL and MRC Metabolic Diseases Unit (MDU), at the Wellcome Trust-MRC Institute of Metabolic Science.
As a member of an experienced team, you will contribute to and participate in large-scale projects and discovery efforts. You will be involved in the analysis and integration of clinical data, -omics (metabolomics, proteomics, transcriptomics and genomics) data sets and data produced by cutting edge technologies such as scRNAseq, ribosome profiling, peptidomics and lipidomics.
You will have great opportunities for personal development and training, being embedded in a world-class scientific community (including, among others, the European Bioinformatics Institute and the Sanger Institute), benefitting from interaction with the local scientists. Moreover, direct collaboration with experimental scientists offers the unique possibility of being involved in the whole data generation and analysis workflow, from the experimental design phase to the analysis processes.
- To pursue data-driven biological research
- Contribute in developing and maintaining data analysis methods for the analysis of scientific data on behalf of research group(s) in order to support the delivery of research projects
- Collaborate effectively with experimentalists and other data scientists to design and develop methods and analytical workflows for deriving insights from (multi omics) research data.
- Keep pace with a rapidly evolving research area, ensuring the exploitation of the available analytical approaches and, where necessary, adapt them or develop novel ones
- Contribute in planning and developing scientific research programmes
- Supervise PhD and Master Students.
- PhD or Bachelor's/Master's degree and comparable experience in Computational Biology, Statistics, Data Science or related fields.
- Proficiency in one or more common programming/scripting languages, e.g. C++, R, Python.
- Familiarity with Linux ¿ based systems and bash scripting.
- Good written and oral communications skills with ability to engage and communicate with people from multiple clinical and biological disciplines, including ability to deliver training to non-experts.
- Familiarity with the basic concepts of genetics, cell biology and molecular biology.
- Ability to communicate effectively in formal presentations and small group meetings.
Please, refer to the link :
for further details.
Informal enquiries can be made to Dr. Davide Chiarugi, Metabolic Research Laboratories. Email: email@example.com