University of Cambridge
Wellcome Trust-MRC Institute of Metabolic Science
Salary: £29,799 to £38,833
We are seeking an experienced Bioinformatician to join the Metabolic Research Laboratories (MRL) Bioinformatics Core Facility, a scientifically complex service providing support to a wide range of researchers within the MRL and potentially across the wider scientific community in Cambridge and nationally. The service involves bioinformatics data analysis, experimental design and scientific computing support. You will work with the Head of the Core Facility both to maintain and improve the MRL’s capacity in bioinformatics and to pursue scientific research projects also in collaboration with Medimmune.
This position is financed until March 2023 and provides abundant opportunity for a talented and driven bioinformatics scientist to play a pivotal role in developing and enhancing the scientific programmes of the Metabolic Research Laboratories and MRC Metabolic Diseases Unit (MDU), at the Wellcome Trust-MRC Institute of Metabolic Science. The direct collaboration with experimental scientists will offer the unique possibility of being involved in the whole data generation and analysis workflow, from the experimental design phase to the analysis processes.
You will have great opportunities for personal development: being embedded in a world- class bioinformatics community (including, among others, the European Bioinformatics Institute and the Sanger Institute) you will benefit from the interaction with the local scientists and you will have excellent training opportunities.
- Contribute in developing and maintaining data analysis pipelines to ensure that the institute scientists will have the cutting edge tools they need to be able to analyse large datasets
- Contribute in informing and training members of the staff at all levels.
- Contribute in managing the data storage.
- Contribute in planning and developing scientific research programmes
- Supervise PhD and Master Students.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- B.S. degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Data Science, Computer Science, Information Management or related fields. Advanced degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Computer Science, Data Science, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Systems Biology or related fields.
- Expert level knowledge of Linux – based systems and bash scripting.
- Proficiency in common programming/scripting languages, e.g. C++, R, Python.
- Substantial and working knowledge of the most common bioinformatics tools
- Excellent written and aural communications skills with ability to engage and
communicate with people from multiple clinical and biological disciplines, including ability to deliver training to non-experts.
- Familiarity with the basic concepts of cell biology and molecular biology.
- Ability to communicate effectively in formal presentations and small group meetings.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience in data management.
- Experience in working with biomedical researchers to develop and apply (bio)informatics solutions, skills, and tools.
- Experience in the analysis of scRNAseq data.
Applications, including CV reporting the contacts of at least two referees and a covering letter describing why you think you would be a
good fit for this position should be submitted on-line via Apply on advertisement position Ref. RG15878 on
Informal enquiries can be made to Dr. Davide Chiarugi, Metabolic Research Laboratories, Level 4, Wellcome Trust-MRC Institute of Metabolic Science, Box 289 Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge CB2 0QQ. Email: email@example.com
Closing date: 15th July 2018
*The funds for this post are available until March 2023